Subject: Monitoring shock and vibration

Monitoring shock and vibration

From: Owen Bradford <owen.bradford<-a>
Date: Saturday, June 21, 1997
Will Jeffers <wjeffers<-a t->mfa< . >org> writes

>Does anyone have any information on the availability of datalogging
>systems capable of monitoring shock and vibration within shipping
>crates during transit?

We use small temperature and humidity dataloggers called Tinytalk or
Tinytag and I know that there is also a similar device for logging
shock and vibration in transit.

All devices are programmable via a windows based software interface
And depending upon type can be set for start time, sample intervals
and alarm parameters and will download as a list of readings or as a
graph.

I have no experience with the shock loggers but the Tinytag's are
very robust and unobtrusive being the size of a 35mm film canister
and can sample several thousand times before being downloaded. I
know that our agriculture department use them to good effect "in the
field" by burying them on moorland to monitor changes in climate.

In the UK we bought ours from

    Preservation Equipment Ltd.
    +44 1379 651527

who are agents for University Products.