Subject: Exhibition of posters

Exhibition of posters

From: Robien van Gulik <teyler<-a>
Date: Monday, June 23, 1997
I would like to thank everyone who came up with advice and ideas
upon my query on the exhibition of posters. We ended up mounting
them on 4 mm MDF board which was covered by acid-free board. The
board was only 3 mm bigger than the posters. The posters were kept
in place by Melinex (Mylar) sheets. After trimming the corners these
were pulled round the board until they were very acceptably without
cockles, and they were attached to the back of the MDF with double
sided tape and staples.

This method worked even with a 9 sheet poster. The Melinex was too
small for this but two sheet of Melinex could be used with a small
overlap. The separate 9 sheets of the poster were attached to the
board with the aid of self-made photo-corners of Melinex, and a few
Melinex strips were placed across for safety. The Melinex sheeting
itself, being static, also helps to keep everything in place.
Although the Melinex is very shiny, the colours of the posters are
nice and bright. Of course the angle of lighting is important to
prevent glare. More important, this way the posters are more
poster-like than if frames would have been used. A very satisfactory
method. Thanks again,

Robien van Gulik
Teylers Museum
Spaarne 16