Subject: Labelling

Labelling

From: Carolyn W. Koenig <carott<-a>
Date: Thursday, June 19, 1997
I recently tried to order some Liquid Label, but was told that it was
back-ordered and would take several weeks for delivery (and that there was
no other source from which to order it).  I need to label some artifacts
as soon as possible and wondered if there was another product on the market
that is suitable.  Is clear nail polish acceptable, and if so, is it safe on
all hard surfaces?  I'd appreciate any suggestions,

    **** Moderator's comments: This topic has been discussed before,
    several times. Please search the archives in CoOL. Also, there
    is a book that will be coming out (soon? already?):

        Numbering of Objects for Museums, Historical Houses, and
        Private Collections. Prepared by Gilcrease Museum's
        Department of Conservation after collaboration with members
        of the AIC/AAM Registrars Sub-Committee on Marking. 1997

    The advanced copy I saw looked very good and had quite a bit of
    very useful information. When it's published, I assume someone
    will announce it here.

Carolyn W. Koenig
Curator
Kitsap County Historical Society Museum