Subject: Storage and handling of nitrate

Storage and handling of nitrate

From: Michael Trinkley <chicora1<-a>
Date: Sunday, June 8, 1997
Clara Deck asks for an intro to nitrate negatives. There is a
tremendous amount written about this topic and I certainly don't
want to downplay the very important information offered by such
documents as NFPA 40 (Storage and Handling of Cellulose Nitrate
Motion Picture Film), a very good introduction is provided by Henry
Wilhelm's The Permanence and Care of Color Photographs in Appendix
19.1 (I mention his book first since it is so very valuable for any
number of problems and would be a good addition to any museum's
library). In addition, depending on the quantity of nitrate present,
Wilhelm outlines appropriate freezer storage guidelines.

Hope this helps,

Michael Trinkley, Ph.D.
Director
Chicora Foundation, Inc.