Subject: Paper contaminated with tear gas

Paper contaminated with tear gas

From: Judith Murphy <jamurphy<-a>
Date: Friday, June 6, 1997
I received a request about decontaminating some family papers that
were heavily (49 cans) exposed to a tear gas substance called "CS"
that formed a powder that is still active and irritating after
several weeks. I provided some Mylar envelopes, hoping that they
would protect the people handling the papers, and they did help.
Does anyone know what the chemical is, or what might neutralize it?

Judith Murphy
Center for Southwest Research
UNM General Library
Albuquerque, NM 87131-1466