Subject: Reformatting photographic material

Reformatting photographic material

From: Peter Shaw <peters<-a>
Date: Thursday, June 5, 1997
Karen Brown <kebrown<-a t->nedcc< . >org>

>Reina B. Irmer <reina.irmer<-a t->snark< . >slq< . >qld< . >gov< . >au> writes
>
>>Also, am I correct in thinking that the most archival format is
>>still a black and white negative?
>
>You are correct--the most archival format is still a black and white
>negative.

I would just like to add that if longevity is the prime
consideration then the duplicate negatives should probably be on a
polyester base. There must be millions of acetate based negatives
around which are not more than 40-50 years old with severe vinegar
syndrome.

Peter Shaw
Australian Archives

                   Distributed: Friday, June 6, 1997