Subject: Laser printing

Laser printing

From: Karen Brown <kebrown<-a>
Date: Thursday, June 5, 1997
Karen Bailey <kbailey<-a t->hbs< . >edu> writes

>... I am, however, concerned about the long term quality
>of the laser printing itself.  My main worries are whether or not
>the toner will flake over time and whether or not it will affect
>(discolor, eat through, etc.) the paper with which it is in contact.

For Karen Bailey:  For information regarding the permanence of laser
printed copies, I would recommend that you obtain a copy of the National
Park Service "Conserve O Gram" Judging Permanence for Reformatting Projects
(no. 19-14, September 1995).  This little publication suggests that
"...laser printed inks are stable, as long as the printer is properly
adjusted so that the toner fuses [to the paper sheet]."  In addition, the
paper should meet ANSI/NISO Z39.48-1992 standard "Permanence of Paper for
Publications and Documents in Libraries and Archives", available from NISO
Press 1-800-282-6476) for $35.00, and/or ASTM D3458-1985 "Standard
Specification for Copies from Office Copy Machines for Permanent Records."

See also Norvell M.M. Jones, "Archival Copies of Thermofax, Verifax,
and Other Unstable Records" [Technical Info. Paper No. 5],
PB90-171836 available from NTIS, Dept of Commerce, 5285 Port Royal
Road, Springfield VA 22161, for details on the *peel test* (or Mary
Lynn Ritzenthaler "Preserving Archives and Manuscripts" [Chicago:
The Society of American Archivists, 1993] p. 127).  Hope this helps.

Karen E.K. Brown
Field Service Representative
Northeast Document Conservation Center
100 Brickstone Square