Subject: Poison ivy and wood

Poison ivy and wood

From: Michael Trinkley <chicora1<-a>
Date: Monday, May 26, 1997
Carolyn Breedlove asks about the longevity of the toxic affects of
poison ivy in reference to the plant climbing on historic wood
structures.

The main irritant portion of Poison Ivy (as well as several other
poison plants) is urushiol. It is an oil and is slightly less dense
than water. While I don't know how long it lasts in theory, I do
know from first hand experience that it can survive easily for at
least a month on tool handles and on unwashed fabrics. As a guess, I
would imagine that yes, buildings could have sufficient oil to cause
skin reactions to those that are extremely allergic.

For people, among the best products I have seen, or used, are the
Tecnu products. Poison Oak-n-Ivy Cleanser is used after exposure,
while the Poison Oak-n-Ivy Armor is used prior to exposure as a
barrier. These products are available from companies such as
Forestry Suppliers (800/647-5368). I bring this up since it may be
easier to post warnings and provide cleansers for visitors than to
"clean" wood structures. I can also imagine a variety of
preservation-related problems with attempting to "seal" the wood.
Best wishes,

Michael Trinkley, Ph.D.
Director
Chicora Foundation, Inc.