Subject: Laser printing

Laser printing

From: Karen Bailey <kbailey<-a>
Date: Monday, June 2, 1997
I need to produce a bookplate for a small collection (ten-twelve
volumes) of eighteenth century materials and, in the interest of
saving printing costs, would like to produce the bookplates on a
laser printer.  I am, however, concerned about the long term quality
of the laser printing itself.  My main worries are whether or not
the toner will flake over time and whether or not it will affect
(discolor, eat through, etc.) the paper with which it is in contact.
I am in the process of trying to acquire the 1993 Australian
Archives article titled "Photocopying and Laser Printing
Processes--Their Stability and Permanence," which has been
frequently referenced in the ConsDist archives.  Are there any other
resources on the subject?  Has anyone else in run into a similar
concern with rare book labels or bookplates?

Karen Bailey
Kress Collection
Harvard Business School

                  Distributed: Wednesday, June 4, 1997