Subject: Reformatting photographic material

Reformatting photographic material

From: Karen Brown <kebrown<-a>
Date: Monday, June 2, 1997
Reina B. Irmer <reina.irmer<-a t->snark< . >slq< . >qld< . >gov< . >au> writes

>My employer is currently considering digitizing our black and white
>photographic collection. I would like some information on what the
>best process is? I currently favour creating a black and white
>negative, medium format....
>
>Also, am I correct in thinking that the most archival format is
>still a black and white negative?

You are correct--the most archival format is still a black and white
negative.  A copy negative, if properly processed (e.g., washed to
remove all the chemical residues) will last a long time--standards
suggest up to 500 years with correct storage.  Remember, though,
that if you scan from the negative you will lose one generation;
this may not make an enormous difference, but might if the original
is large and the copy negative relatively small.  If the scanned
image is being considered for long-term retention, I recommend that
you scan at the highest DPI possible (e.g., 600), especially if you
are one generation removed.  Also, do not use bitonal (high contrast
1-bit) scanning, but "continuous tone" 8-bit dynamic range for the
best quality reproduction:  this will give you 256 shades of gray.
Good luck,

Karen E.K. Brown
Field Service Representative
Northeast Document Conservation Center