Subject: MonoAdhesive

MonoAdhesive

From: Carol E. Eyler <ceyler<-a>
Date: Tuesday, May 27, 1997
I'd like information about a product called MonoAdhesive, advertised
by American Tombow, Inc. in Norcross, GA.  It is described as the
"quickest, cleanest, easiest way to glue" paper-based materials,
"dispenses glue smoothly and accurately," in a 1/3 inch wide line
and is "acid-free."  It comes in both permanent bond and temporary
bond versions.  A call to Tombow revealed that it is a tape, with
adhesive on both sides. However, the customer service rep could not
tell me anything about the composition of either the carrier or the
type of adhesive used. (The Material Safety Data Sheet lists no
hazardous components.)

I am trying to get a sample to examine.  Does anyone have experience
with MonoAdhesive and/or know anything about its composition?  Would
it be acceptable for quick tipping in of loose pages in high-use,
limited retention volumes in a small public library?  Or would it
pose the same problems that many other tapes do -- even in the short
term?

Carol E. Eyler
Assistant Library Director
South St. Paul Public Library