Subject: Tom Chase retires

Tom Chase retires

From: Tom Chase <chaset<-a>
Date: Thursday, May 22, 1997
As many of you know the Smithsonian Institution has been
restructuring. The same is true of the Freer Gallery of Art and the
Arthur M. Sackler Gallery.  The Galleries have provided me the
opportunity for an early retirement and also have provided written
assurances that they want me to continue my research work at the
Galleries as a Research Associate.

Given the overall package, my desires and expectations of how I will
spend my future productive years, and the inducement of the Research
Associate position, I have elected to take advantage of this
opportunity.  I will be able to make use of my professional
capabilities in the private sector while maintaining a strong
working relationship with the Galleries, with which I have been
associated for more than thirty years.

I will retire on June 7, 1997 and move into my new capacity as
Research Associate.

For Smithsonian-related matters my address will be:

    W. T. Chase, Research Associate
    Department of Conservation and Scientific Research
    The Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery MRC 707
    1150 Independence Avenue, Smithsonian Institution
    Washington, DC 20560
    202-357-4880 (x 267)
    Fax: 202-633-9474
    chaset<-a t->simsc< . >si< . >edu

For other professional and personal matters, my address is:

    W. T. Chase
    4621 Norwood Drive
    Chevy Chase, MD 20815
    301-656-9416
    TChase4921<-a t->aol< . >com< . >us

Obviously, I will be available for consulting, and I look forward to
new and increased contacts in the future.

                   Distributed: Friday, May 23, 1997