Subject: Photo albums

Photo albums

From: Carol Crawford <ccra<-a>
Date: Thursday, May 22, 1997
Larry Hutchings <history<-a t->infolink< . >morris< . >mn< . >us> writes

> The albums are generally in good condition. Because they will be
> used, would it be appropriate to insert each page in a Mylar sleeve
> in a new binder, while preserving the original binder? Interleaving
> would probably become an irritant to the office staff, and be
> removed. How should the identifying tabs on the dividers be treated?
> I've recommended reattaching the photographs with two small dabs of
> PVA

The polyester film sleeving is fine. Three ring binder holes can be
punched through the film or might even be available form Light
Impressions, University Products, Gaylord, etc. If possible however,
if there is no information on the back of the scrap book paper, a
buffered interleaving sheet in the sleeve would be desirable. The
sheet should pass the PAT and could also be purchased through the
above stated venders. If there are photos or information on the back
Paper Technologies out in California has a very good semi
transparent photo interleaving paper that can be used. Keep in mind
however that the bulk of the albums will grow so you may need to
order additional binders to accommodate the expansion. The polyester
film is a nice way to keep the intrinsic value intact while
protecting the pages for use.

I do not think that using PVA dots is a good idea however for
several reasons, it is not easily reversible should the albums ever
receive conservation, if the photos are pulling up from the pages
they may do so again although with the PVA they will pull up and
tear the paper, and some PVA's contain components that may off gas
and damage the photo eventually. Alternatives would be hinging with
Japanese tissue "v" hinges adhered with wheat or rice starch paste,
or if they are resin coated photo papers, use photo corners of paper
or polyester film. Again these are available from the venders stated
above. Good luck,

Carol Crawford
Conservation Office
Library of Congress