Subject: Photo albums

Photo albums

From: Hilary Kaplan <hkaplan<-a>
Date: Thursday, May 22, 1997
Larry Hutchins asked about preserving a WPA photo album. You might
want to consider reproducing the album for general reference use in
order to reduce wear and tear on the original. Microfilming or other
reformatting technologies will preserve the album's original
layout/format independent of any type of actual treatment to the
original object.  I would strongly discourage reattaching the photos
with even "dabs" of PVA as there are a number of more attractive
options that are less intrusive and less potentially damaging.
Encapsulating each page of the album in polyester will significantly
increase the weight of the object, which may make repeated retrieval
cumbersome. I would be happy to discuss this with you in more detail
and/or encourage consultation with a photographic conservator. The
American Institution for Conservation provides a referral service at
202-452-9545.

Hilary A. Kaplan
Conservator
Georgia Department of Archives and History
330 Capitol Avenue
Atlanta, GA 30334
404-656-3554
Fax: 404-651-8471