Subject: Orchid mucilage

Orchid mucilage

From: Sue Gatenby <sueg<-a>
Date: Thursday, May 22, 1997
In Conservation DistList Instance: 10:88, April 10, 1997, Miguel
Hernandez <fmontero<-a t->mexred< . >net< . >mx> writes

>I have been doing some research about the uses of orchid's mucilage
>in precolumbian Mexico.

I have carried out some research as part of my Masters thesis on the
use of orchid juice used by the Australian Aborigines as a binder
for natural pigments painted objects but more particularly bark
paintings. Three different species have reported to be used for this
purpose :

    *   Cymbidium sp.
    *   Denndrobium sp
    *   Geodorum sp.

This work lead me to have a number of orchid bulb sap analysed
because initial thoughts were that the sap would be primarily
starch. An interesting discovery was made that the sap was composed
of Glucomannans.

You may ask why this is interesting, well glucomannans have
excellent gelling properties and also are very stable. I have some
other information if interested but it better that I post it. The
best reference is :

    Orchid Biology
    Reviews and Perspectives Part 3
    Edited By J. Arditti
    Cornstock Publishing Association
    Cornell University Press 1984

World uses for mucilage are listed and this would be of interests to
you. Please let me know if you would like me to send you a copy.

Sue Gatenby
Powerhouse Museum

                   Distributed: Friday, May 23, 1997