Subject: Labels and location control

Labels and location control

From: Wai-kwok Wan <waikkwan<-a>
Date: Tuesday, May 20, 1997
Our archives is in the process of automating the location control
and space allocation system and we've already allotted a barcode
number for each file in our repository. What we're going to do is to
print the bar code number on the computer labels and put them on the
corresponding file jackets. I'd like to seek advice in relation to
the following:

    1.  Are there any archives using the same strategy for
        space/location control purposes? How about the pros and
        cons?

    2.  From conservation point of view, would the computer labels
        for laser printer available on the market pose any negative
        effect on the archives?

Wai-kwok Wan
Assistant Archivist
Public Records Office of Hong Kong
6/F., Tuen Mun Government Storage Centre
1 San Yick Lane, Tuen Mun, NT
Hong Kong

                  Distributed: Wednesday, May 21, 1997