Subject: Monitoring air quality

Monitoring air quality

From: Barbara Appelbaum <aandh<-a>
Date: Monday, May 19, 1997
Re: Zu-chun Liao's inquiry about pollution monitors. I think it is
important to clarify two different uses of monitors. One is as a
demonstration to convince people who have the authority to commit
money or staff to fix a problem that there is a problem that needs
fixing. The other is to produce data, qualitative, quantitative, or
both, that is necessary to solve a technical problem. The answer to
this inquiry would be, I believe, different in the two scenarios.
Wood undoubtedly does put out impurities into the air. Aside from
the major components conservators already expect to be there, minor
components could be identified in the wood products literature. If
objects in this room are sensitive, then there are limited number of
ways to protect them, which depend more on the practicalities of the
situation than on the exact amounts or identity of the pollution.
If, on the other hand, there are sensitive things stored in the room
and there is a need to convince people that they are threatened,
then metal coupons should work. If specific objects are showing
signs of distress that can't be diagnosed easily, then again I don't
believe that detailed analysis of the pollution in the room is the
most efficient way to go.

B. Appelbaum

                   Distributed: Monday, May 19, 1997