Subject: Radiative clock and watch dials

Radiative clock and watch dials

From: Jim Moss <clkmkr<-a>
Date: Monday, May 12, 1997
I just got back from a local radiologist who was kind enough to scan
three dials and hands with their calibrated Geiger Counter. The
results are as follows:

    Seikosha Ships Deck Clock dial: 215 millirems per hour at 1" and
    background noise at 4'

    Seikosha Hour and minute hands from above clock: 255 millirems
    per hour at 1" and background noise at 4'

    Waltham 8 day dial: 130 millirems per hour at 1" background
    noise at 3'

    Waltham 8 day dial and watch: 40 millirems at 1" background
    noise at 1'

The technicians comment was: "Wow, these are really *hot*!"

So, now the question is what to do. The dials need attention: ie the
silvering is 40% gone, the lettering is 20% gone, and it has
radioactive paint on  it. I wonder if there is a way to remove the
paint so that the dial can be conserved without danger to the
conservator? Any suggestions?

Jim Moss

                   Distributed: Monday, May 12, 1997