Subject: Consolidant and filling material for marble

Consolidant and filling material for marble

From: Steve Benteau <sgbentea<-a>
Date: Thursday, May 8, 1997
This query is on behalf of for R. Fuller, Doon Heritage Crossroads,
Kitchener, Canada, who is not on the DistList.  The problem is a
marble sculpture with an iron armature that is permanently displayed
outdoors.  Naturally, the armature has corroded and weathering has
caused a section of the sculpture to disintegrate.  We would like to
reconstruct the missing section, re-integrating as many original
fragments as possible.  We need to use a material that will
consolidate the weakened marble (ie, be fluid enough to fill
cracks), act as an adhesive and preferably be able to act as a
structural fill material as well.  *And* it must be able to
withstand weathering for a long period of time, since this sculpture
is mounted on top of a building where access is very difficult. Thus
far we are considering epoxies such as WoodEpox but are looking for
other suggestions also.  Has anyone else used something they have
found useful? Thanks,

Gillian Noseworthy

                    Distributed: Friday, May 9, 1997