Subject: Sharpening board shears

Sharpening board shears

From: George R. Leake III <taliesin<-a>
Date: Thursday, May 8, 1997
Terry Belanger <belanger<-a t->virginia< . >edu> asks (on 5 May 97)

>The Book Arts Press has a 40" Minco board shears with a blade that
>needs sharpening. I've been unable to find a tool-sharpening firm in
>central Virginia willing to take on the Minco's long, curved blade.
>In this day of FedEx, I suppose it doesn't much matter where I send
>the thing off to be sharpened (I have a good wood sheath for it):

There are two places in the Central Texas area:

    The Cutter's Edge in Bastrop, Texas sharpens all manner of
    blades, and some of their customers do ship blades needing
    sharpening via UPS, USMail, FedEx etc. Give them a call at
    512-321-7812.

    Clyde L Rackley & Co. is a hardware store in downtown Austin,
    and Rackley's also sharpens all types of blades (even large
    cutting shears), and will accept shipped goods. Call them at
    512-477-5337 to set things up.

George Leake
Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center Conservation Dept
UT Austin

                    Distributed: Friday, May 9, 1997