Subject: Corroding bronze

Corroding bronze

From: Jerry Shiner <keepsafe<-a>
Date: Thursday, May 8, 1997
Neal Putt <np<-a t->iccrom< . >org> writes

>   "I would like assistance concerning a collection of metal objects
>    (bronze and iron) with active corrosion..."

Would your Belgian colleague consider using a "scavenger" inside the
sealed display case to hold/neutralize any dangerous gases which may
penetrate. I am thinking of both the zeolite and carbon filled
papers (produced by Conservation Materials?) as well as a product
called "Corrosion Intercept" from Engineered Materials (which is
available through ourselves.)

Air Sensitive objects (to tarnishing, oxidation, from airborne
pollutants, etc.) can be wrapped in sheets of Corrosion Intercept,
or the same material can be made into storage bags. The manufacturer
also advises using the material as a passive absorbant. Detailed
information on Corrosion Intercept is available on our web site:
<URL:http://www.interlog.com/~keepsafe>

Jerry Shiner
Forever Yours Bridal Gown Preservation
& Keepsafe Systems Inc.