Subject: Paper labels on brass

Paper labels on brass

From: Curtiss E. Peterson <pete<-a>
Date: Wednesday, May 7, 1997
This is from the HISTARCH-L list.  Perhaps a paper conservator might
like to comment.

    Date: 5 May 97
    From: Mary L. Maniery <mlmaniery<-a t->aol< . >com>
    Subject: Paper labels

    I am currently at the tail end of a 5-week data recovery project
    in a small Chinese American community in California.  We
    recently exposed a feature containing 20+ brass opium tins and
    lots of other opium associated materials. Six of the opium tins
    still have paper labels in excellent condition and I am
    concerned that they will begin to disintegrate.  Any suggestions
    on treatment, cleaning, preservation of these fragile items?

    Mary Maniery
    Sacramento, CA

Curtiss Peterson
The Rescue Company