Subject: Spine labeling

Spine labeling

From: Alicia Cosgrove <ali00akc<-a>
Date: Thursday, May 1, 1997
I'm interested in what labeling systems are in use in other
libraries. We are currently limping along with the Vernon Labeling
Software, which has never worked as promised, and seems to sprout
2-3 new problems with each "up-grade". Support from the designer and
Vernon has been next to nil, and never helpful when we have had the
odd luck to actually get it. It's little more than a step up from
hand-entering each individual call number, which was what we (I) did
prior to purchasing the VLS.

If you have a labeling system that works for you, I would be
interested in hearing about it. Or if you have/have had one that was
truly awful, I'd appreciate a warning. VTLS is alleged to have a
labeling program but, from what we've found, even VTLS can't get it
to work! Not a good sign. I'm hoping to start a campaign for a new,
*fully functional* labeling system with the start of the fiscal
year, so I'm trying to gather information now.

Alicia Cosgrove
Materials Processor

                    Distributed: Monday, May 5, 1997