Subject: Drawings on film

Drawings on film

From: Bryan Owen <Bryan_Owen<-a>
Date: Thursday, May 1, 1997
This is a plea for information regarding drawings with the following
support material(s): Mylar, acetate, and other sheet films.  We have
a large collection of architectural drawings and print processes on
these supports--with a variety of media, type, and tape transfer as
well--and are in the process of generating a handling, storage, and
general treatment proposal for the entire sub-collection.  The
drawings are from the era of the fifties and sixties and cover most
every brand name and type available to the commercial architectural
business.  The drawings are all rolled--with the intent of having
them stored flat--and we would like to know if anyone has any
experience with these objects and general or specific
recommendations.  The size range varies: 8"x10"  to well over
40"x60" with thicknesses in the 2-5mil range.  Technical--materials
related--information would be greatly appreciated as well.

Our main concerns and interests are:

    *   A system for allowing the supports and media to flatten at a
        rate that will not allow the media and transfer materials to
        reticulate, spall off, or otherwise weaken.

    *   The use of applied heat vs. applied pressure over time to
        flatten the objects.

    *   Frictional problems that generate electrostatic buildup--and
        discharge--which can affect media.

    *   Treatments that would deal with the removal or reapplication
        of pressure sensitive architectural tapes.  Are there
        reversible, approved, conservation materials for such an
        activity?

I have found information from many polymer company resources,
catalogs, and the like and would be happy to share.  I have found
something less than a few words about these materials in the AIC
Paper catalog and a bit from the National Park Service data books.

Bryan Owen
Senior Preservation Technician
Frederick Law Olmsted National Historic Site
99 Warren St.
Brookline, Ma. 02146

                    Distributed: Monday, May 5, 1997