Subject: Analysis of food containers

Analysis of food containers

From: Jonathan S. Farley <j.s.farley<-a>
Date: Monday, April 28, 1997
Tom King, by way of Fran Gale <gale<-a t->alpha< . >nsula< . >edu> writes

>It
>appears to be part of a can label.  We'd like to verify whether
>this is what it is.  If it is, we'd like to be able to identify
>the kind of can from which it came, the probable contents of the
>can, and its approximate date...
>I feel sure there are people who specialize in the study of food
>containers, but I don't know who they are.

The person who should be able to help in the identification if it is
a food canister is Robert Opie who is reachable at:

    The Robert Opie Museum of Packaging and Advertising
    Albert Docks
    Gloucester
    England

I regret, that I do not have the post code ot telephone number at
this time but it should be readily available through directory
enquiries. Mr Opie has been collecting and researching packaging and
advertising materials for many decades, and his knowledge of the
subject is second to none. The museums collection is very
comprehensive, and should you show him the fragment, I am sure he
will be able to show you a complete example of it in return.
Regards,

Jonathan Farley

                  Distributed: Tuesday, April 29, 1997