Subject: Testing exhibition materials

Testing exhibition materials

From: Jane D. Ketcham <ketcham<-a>
Date: Friday, April 25, 1997
Scott Webster Nolley <swnconserv<-a t->aol< . >com> writes

>I am interested in a materials suitability test for the presence of
>chlorinated compounds in materials being considered for exhibition,
>for example PVC, etc. Our primary test for deleterious materials in
>the past has been the Oddy test.

The Canadian Conservation Institute (CCI) has published a Note
(#17/1) on the "Beilstein Test" which can be used to screen organic
and polymeric materials for the presence of chlorine. Basically, it
consists of using a clean, hot piece of copper wire touched to the
material being tested. The sample on the wire is held in the flame
of a propane torch or bunsen burner, and a green color indicates the
presence of chlorine. I recommend getting the CCI Note for a
detailed description of the technique. The Note also includes the
results for a number of materials that CCI tested. CCI has a web
page that lists all of their publications.

Jane Ketcham

                  Distributed: Tuesday, April 29, 1997