Subject: Musty odors in books

Musty odors in books

From: Patricia Palmer <pepalmer<-a>
Date: Friday, April 25, 1997
The following appeared in SERIALST and is reproduced here without
the knowledge or consent of the author.

    Date: 18 Apr 97
    From: Andrew Leonhart <aleonhar<-a t->MANC< . >EDU>
    Subject: "musty" smell
    To: SERIALST<-a t->UVMVM< . >UVM< . >EDU

    As I was walking around the library this morning I smelled a
    familiar odor.   It is the musty smell of some old "Life"
    magazines.  They date back to 1937.  I have a friend who is a
    microbiologist but thought that I would ask you all first.

    Is this an indication of mold, mildew or some other damaging
    element? If so, could it spread to the other library materials?
    Advice appreciated. Thank you,

    Andrew E. Leonhart
    Mabee Library
    MidAmerica Nazarene College