Subject: Cabinet

Cabinet

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo<-a>
Date: Friday, April 25, 1997
Laura Downey <lldowney<-a t->aol< . >com>

>This is not really a response to Zu-Chun Liao's query concerning
>fire-proof safes or cabinets but rather a further question. Recently
>I have had several private people ask me whether fire-proof safes
>are appropriate for long-term storage of photographic materials. One
>person mentioned he had purchased a "Media-Safe" (manufactured by
>Schwab-?-) which seems to be marketed specifically for the
>protection of family documents and photos and reportedly guarantees
>to keep the temperature below 125 degrees F.  However, at home he
>noticed a strong odor inside the safe and began to wonder about the
>stability/effect of the safe's materials, and further to wonder
>about humidity levels within the chamber.

Laura, I had a client who purchased a walk-in safe for his
collection of works on paper, some paintings, models, etc.  When it
arrived and was installed he complained of the smell, as you note. I
asked him to acquire a copy of the MSDS for the paint and any other
adhesives or coatings applied. There was nothing unusual in the MSDS
info he received, it indicated that further drying was possible and
so I suggested leaving the door open, placing a fan inside with a
heater.  After several weeks no smell remain (according to him).  I
then suggested he use the silver tarnish test and acquire collection
tubes for analysis.  Unfortunately he was satisfied with the results
and did not go further than the silver test.  Hope this helps,

Niccolo Caldararo
Conservation Art Service

                  Distributed: Friday, April 25, 1997