Subject: Testing exhibition materials

Testing exhibition materials

From: Ramona Duncan-Huse <rduncan<-a>
Date: Friday, April 25, 1997
Scott Webster Nolley <swnconserv<-a t->aol< . >com> writes

>I am interested in a materials suitability test for the presence of
>chlorinated compounds in materials being considered for exhibition,
>for example PVC, etc. Our primary test for deleterious materials in
>the past has been the Oddy test.

I recently contacted a local environmental chemist regarding the
efficacy of the Oddy test to detect potentially harmful volatiles in
a sample of carpet proposed for our new building. He warned that the
Beilstein and Oddy tests do not adequately test for the breakdown of
byproducts over time. Our carpet is broadloom with a polyolefin
backing, and will not be placed with an adhesive.  We could not
afford the individual air sampling suggested by the chemist and have
to rely on the amount of information now available from the carpet
industry regarding their time-related tests. Fortunately, the carpet
industry is very aware of the problems associated with formaldehyde
and rubber components. The Beilstein and Oddy tests are very
valuable, but cannot tell us everything we need to know about the
breakdown of products over time.

Ramona Duncan-Huse
Head of Conservation
Indiana Historical Society Library