Subject: White gloves

White gloves

From: Hans de Herder <nfra<-a>
Date: Friday, April 25, 1997
D.R. Grauberger <graubec8231<-a t->uni< . >edu> writes

>....... My situation is that I need a good reference, in plain
>English, and preferably with pictures to convince them of the need
>for them to wear the white gloves as they work with the collection
>pieces. Perhaps something that demonstrates how a fingerprint can
>eventually burn itself into a metal object, or other example of
>metal damage by skin oils.

You want to read "Fingerprints on Photographs" by (the late) Klaus
Hendriks. You will find his paper in: "Topics in Photographic
Preservation" Volume Five, by the American Institute for
Conservation, Photographic Materials Group. 1993

If gives clear answers in clear English. (Five and half page) You
may be ordering this publication from the AIC in Washington, or I'll
Xerox it and mail it if you cannot find it. Good luck,

Hans de Herder
Nationaal Fotorestauratie Atelier
Witte de Withstraat 63
3012 BN Rotterdam