Subject: Testing exhibition materials

Testing exhibition materials

From: Scott Webster Nolley <swnconserv<-a>
Date: Wednesday, April 23, 1997
I am interested in a materials suitability test for the presence of
chlorinated compounds in materials being considered for exhibition,
for example PVC, etc. Our primary test for deleterious materials in
the past has been the Oddy test. As some exhibition schedules have
placed time constraints on suitability test methods, we have adopted
the iodide-iodate test for volatile organic acids and the
chromotropic acid test for formaldehyde as described in: Zhang, J.,
D. Thickett, and L. Green. 1994. Two Organic Tests for the Detection
of Volatile Organic Acids and Formaldehyde. Journal of the American
Institute of Conservation (JAIC)., 33:47-53. As outlined, these
tests require a relatively small amount of material and present
results in a couple of hours.

I am interested in an a similar test for chlorinated compounds, as
well as any personal experiences--pro or con--that anyone has had
with either the the iodide-iodate test or the chromotropic acid
test. Thanks in advance,

Scott W. Nolley
Objects Conservation
Colonial Williamsburg Foundation