Subject: Cobweb artifacts

Cobweb artifacts

From: David Kenkel <kenkel<-a>
Date: Thursday, April 24, 1997
Has anyone had any experience with objects made from cobwebs?  I am
looking at a group of objects from the Solomon Is, Vanuatu region
which are made either entirely from webs (fishing lures), or combine
webs with mud, pigment, and plant and fabric fibres (masks,
puppets).  I don't intend to do much in the way of treatments to
these objects as although the individual silk is strong, the objects
are quite fragile.  They have acquired a considerable amount of
"museum dust", however.  I would appreciate any ideas, information
or cobweb experiences people may have had.

Annette McKone
Objects Conservator
Auckland Museum
Private Bag 90218