Subject: Cabinet

Cabinet

From: Laura Downey <lldowney<-a>
Date: Friday, April 18, 1997
This is not really a response to Zu-Chun Liao's query concerning
fire-proof safes or cabinets but rather a further question. Recently
I have had several private people ask me whether fire-proof safes
are appropriate for long-term storage of photographic materials. One
person mentioned he had purchased a "Media-Safe" (manufactured by
Schwab-?-) which seems to be marketed specifically for the
protection of family documents and photos and reportedly guarantees
to keep the temperature below 125 degrees F.  However, at home he
noticed a strong odor inside the safe and began to wonder about the
stability/effect of the safe's materials, and further to wonder
about humidity levels within the chamber.  I did not know what to
say other than to second his concern and suggest he seek more
information from the manufacturer.

Has anyone had experience with these safes?  I have not actually
seen one myself, so I can only speculate on the potential hazards.
What should the interior coating be, and would the door gasketing
material (possibly rubber) pose a significant threat to the
contents?  How stable will the relative humidity be within the
chamber, and is there any way of regulating this as well as the
temperature?  I'd be glad of any further comments, discussion, and
advice.

                  Distributed: Tuesday, April 22, 1997