Subject: Professional qualifications

Professional qualifications

From: Janet Gertz <gertz<-a>
Date: Saturday, April 19, 1997
Henry Grunder <hgrunder<-a t->leo< . >vsla< . >edu> writes

>[Conservation DistList Instance: 10:88] contained yet another
>posting for a conservator position stating "Preference... given to
>candidates with an ... MLS degree." Why? What is the point? Would
>not a post-baccalaureate degree in (say) materials science, or
>organic chemistry... or mycology, be more relevant?

The Columbia University Libraries posting for a conservator position
included the statement "MLS preferred".  We do this because the
conservator will be working in a library, with library materials,
and will need to be able to understand how such materials are used,
by what sorts of scholars and students, and must be able to discuss
these issues intelligently with the curators.  Knowledge of how
materials are used and by whom informs the decision on what
treatment to use.  While we would not hire a poor conservator with
an MLS in preference to a good one without the MLS, we do consider
an understanding of the organizational and scholarly environment an
important qualification.

Janet Gertz
Director for Preservation
Columbia University Libraries