Subject: Archaeological amber

Archaeological amber

From: Sally Shelton <libsdnhm<-a>
Date: Friday, April 18, 1997
Jari Heinonen <jheinone<-a t->sun3< . >oulu< . >fi> writes

>I would be very glad to get some practical advice and information
>concerning the conservation methods of archaeological amber. What kind of
>chemicals you use for consolidation and gluing?

I don't know of anyone who ever tries to use adhesives and
consolidants on unworked amber from archaeological or
paleontological sites, because these substances are major
contaminants no matter how good they are in their functions. Most
people try to keep amber in as pristine a condition as possible
because of the wealth of information it is proving to contain
(biological structures, whole organisms, trace atmospheric gases,
etc.). So, if the amber is unworked, I'd have to say *don't* try to
clean, glue, consolidate, or impose any other treatment on it. You
risk compromising or destroying its scientific importance.

If the amber is already part of an artifact, there are several
approaches that various people have taken, and some useful
literature on the subject. A lot depends on the nature of the amber
itself: its translucence or lack of it, its inclusions, its
hardness, etc. Without knowing that, no one can give you the
accurate information you need. I do urgently recommend *against*
using the old jewelers' trick of heating and re-fusing pieces: the
risk of over-heating and destroying the amber is too great.
Remember that even the hardest amber is still never a stone and can't
take much abuse.

Sally Shelton
Director, Collections Care and Conservation
President-Elect, Society for the Preservation of Natural History
    Collections
San Diego Natural History Museum
P.O. Box 1390
San Diego, California  92112