Subject: Magnetic pulse weapons

Magnetic pulse weapons

From: Mark Clarke <markey<-a>
Date: Saturday, April 19, 1997
Deborah Rohan <county_records_cambridge<-a t->ima< . >camcnty< . >gov< . >uk> writes

>I would like to get some information on ways and means of protecting
>computer equipment from magnetic pulses. During a discussion on
>disaster planning, a colleague mentioned that magnetic pulse weapons
>are becoming standard items in national arsenals

In theory, anything inside a continuous conductive container (a
"Faraday Cage") should be ok, as the field inside a conductor is
zero. Of course, building such a beast not so easy. Your archives
would more or less have to be welded in!

I have no idea whether this has ever been tried. Off-site backup
(off-continent  rather) springs to mind.

More seriously though, if your data is written to CD it will be
fine, as CDs do not work on a magnetic principle.

Mark Clarke
London
+44 941 101 251

                  Distributed: Tuesday, April 22, 1997