Subject: Magnetic pulse weapons

Magnetic pulse weapons

From: Steve Reitci <sanborn<-a>
Date: Friday, April 18, 1997
Deborah Rohan <county_records_cambridge<-a t->ima< . >camcnty< . >gov< . >uk> writes

>I would like to get some information on ways and means of protecting
>computer equipment from magnetic pulses. During a discussion on
>disaster planning, a colleague mentioned that magnetic pulse weapons
>are becoming standard items in national arsenals

My only knowledge of the use of magnetic pulse weaponry is limited
to the effects of nuclear weapons. One of the by-products of a
nuclear blast is a pulse of magnetic energy. It has been proposed
that an atmospheric detonation over a target could be used to knock
out the enemy's electronics. However, the materials I've seen on
this suggest that the pulse would transmit so much energy that long
pieces of conducting metals (Such as telephone wires) would melt.

However, for protection against smaller magnetic fields, such as in
television sets and power tools, there are materials which can block
a magnetic field by converting it into heat. I seem to recall one
rather industrial-looking wallpaper made of pressed carbon fibers
developed to block RF transmissions, which has the shielding value
of a 1/4" of steel. However, I understand that it is extremely
expensive, and may not be available to the general public. (It was
developed for the CIA.)

Then again, if they every develop sheets of room-temperature
superconductors, that would do the trick.

Steven Reitci

                  Distributed: Tuesday, April 22, 1997