Subject: Detecting mold

Detecting mold

From: Henry Grunder <hgrunder<-a>
Date: Monday, April 14, 1997
Barry Knight spoke of killing mold *spores* with UV energy. Gina
Overshiner, while not saying so directly, hinted at it (why else
fluorescent light?) Am I wrong, then, that virtually nothing will
kill mold *spores* except Gamma irradiation, and ETO (ethylene
oxide) *sterilization* (this is different from *fumigation*, of
course). Since so many seem to think that light, especially UV, is
efficacious, I am apparently wrong... taking comfort only in Will
Rogers' apothegm that "It ain't what they don't know that bothers
me half as much as what they know fer sure that just ain't so."
Perhaps some expert will come forward with a definitive and
conclusive answer, for all time. *Spores*, folks; not just mycelia.

Henry Grunder
Conservation/Preservation Coordinator
The Library of Virginia

                 Distributed: Thursday, April 17, 1997