Subject: Karibari

Karibari

From: Michael Maggen <maggen<-a>
Date: Monday, April 14, 1997
Frank Siegle <buchbinderei-mende<-a t->t-online< . >de> writes

>I want to construct a Karibari. The manual I use recommends to
>construct the frame with red wood. Can anybody tell me the
>scientific name of this kind of wood.

I was lucky to participated in the Japanese Paper Conservation
course in Japan and we built there a karibari. The wood the
Japanese conservators would chose for the lattice core will be a
Japanese ceder, and the reasons they recommended this type of wood
are: It is very light in weight, it is relatively strong, it
contains very small amount of resin so the wood will not deformed
easily under wet and dry conditions and the wood odors are known to
be a insects repellents. So I believe there are some good benefits
in picking this type of cider, I don't recall the usage of red wood
for karibari as was suggested above, but I could go wrong about the
red wood since in our course we met only few conservation studios
and naturally there could be other approaches.

Michael Maggen
Senior paper conservator
The Israel Museum Israel

                 Distributed: Thursday, April 17, 1997