Subject: Mold on bone

Mold on bone

From: Gina Overshiner <overshiner<-a>
Date: Thursday, April 10, 1997
I am a graduate student who works with archaeological human skeletal
remains.  I have come across mold growing on some of the bones in
the collection.  I have been asking around about possible solutions
for this problem and was referred to your list by the American
Institute for Conservation.  The humidity in our facility tends to
run over 50%, and has been 52% for the last few days- I have been
watching it closely.  After consulting with many individuals, and
considering that I am just lowly student with little influence over
the workings of the facility, I have come up with what I think is an
affordable and potentially effective solution.  I want your input on
it, if you would be so kind. The proposed steps follow:

    1.  Clean the bones with a weak (<10%) solution of chlorine or
        orthophenolphenol (I'd like input on which is safest and
        most effective) and water, to kill the existing mold.

    2.  Dry the bones thoroughly under ultraviolet light, in our
        case fluorescent desk lamps.

    3.  Place the bones in acid-free paper (as opposed to plastic)
        bags and boxes for curation.

    4.  Include indicating Drierite silica granules in the boxes
        with the bones to keep rh in the boxes low, since we
        obviously have a problem with humidity.

    5.  Monitor the silica and reactivate it as needed.

Any input would greatly appreciated.   Thank you for your time and
patience,

Gina Overshiner

                 Distributed: Thursday, April 10, 1997