Subject: Karibari

Karibari

From: Mark Vine <100436.3447<-a>
Date: Wednesday, April 9, 1997
Frank Siegle <buchbinderei-mende<-a t->t-online< . >de> writes

>I want to construct a Karibari. The manual I use recommends to
>construct the frame with red wood. Can anybody tell me the
>scientific name of this kind of wood.

Reading through volume 2 of 'World Timbers' published
by the Timber Development Association Ltd,London,
I came across the following two entries:

    Redwood, Rhodesian .. otherwise known as 'Rhodesian Teak',
    'Umpapapa', 'Igusi' or 'Mkusi'. Botanical name : Baikiaea
    plurijuga Harms.

    Redwood .. otherwise known as 'Red' or 'Yellow Deal,
    'Sonderhamn' and 'Norway' Fir,'Gefle','White Sea', 'Baltic',
    'Memel' and 'Swedish' and Finnish' Fir'. Botanical name : Pinus
    sylvestris L.

The two volumes I have of World Timbers offer an insight into the
range, location and uses of a wide variety of woods from around the
world. These mini volumes measure just 180 x 125 x 25 mm and consist
of a series of 100 individual leaflets, neither of the two old
volumes is dated, unfortunately.

Mark Vine
Conservation Resources
England