Subject: Karibari

Karibari

From: Claudia Chemello <cchemell<-a>
Date: Thursday, April 10, 1997
Frank Siegle <buchbinderei-mende<-a t->t-online< . >de> writes

>I want to construct a Karibari. The manual I use recommends to
>construct the frame with red wood. Can anybody tell me the
>scientific name of this kind of wood.

Whilst not having ever made a Karibari Board myself I would direct
you to a publication put out by Paper Nao Japan called "The Paper
Nao" February 1994, Vol 3 which outlines all the steps to make a
Karibari Board. The kind of wood used is Japanese cedar wood so used
because of its excellent resistance to water.

If you can't get hold of a copy I am happy to fax or send you the
details. All the best,

Claudia Chemello
Assistant Conservator
State Library of NSW