Subject: Orchid mucilage

Orchid mucilage

From: Miguel Hernandez <fmontero<-a>
Date: Tuesday, April 8, 1997
I have been doing some research about the uses of orchid's mucilage
in precolumbian Mexico. It is known that Aztecs gave the name of
tzauhtli to the mucilage obtained from orchid's bulbs and that it
was used as pigment binder, adhesive for feather's mosaics, and
paper adhesive. In colonial times, this mucilage continued to be
used in Mexico to manufacture several kinds of art works.

Since orchids grow in many countries around the world, I'm almost
sure that the orchid's mucilage must have been used by other
cultures. If someone has information about the uses of this mucilage
as binder, adhesive or other use related to art or ethnographic
materials in South America, Asia, Africa or any other place,  please
let me know.

Carolusa Gonzalez Tirado
Conservator
Escuela Nacional de Conservacion, Restauracion y Museografia
Mexico

                 Distributed: Thursday, April 10, 1997