Subject: Mold on paper

Mold on paper

From: Scott Campbell <ScottCampbell<-a>
Date: Friday, April 4, 1997
I recently received a few thousand manuscript pages that have been
in the tropical environment of a small island in Fiji, some of them
for nearly 10 years. They are very important historical and cultural
documents, handwritten and typewritten, some in ink and some in
pencil. I do not want to integrate them into our current manuscript
collection because they smell very obviously of mold, and are even
still a bit damp to the touch from the moisture they absorbed while
in their previous environment. A colleague mentioned eugenol--the
essential oil derived from cloves, all spice, and the like--as a
vegetable-derived compound that could be used in a fumigation box
(rather than the once standard but highly toxic/carcinogenic thymol
or OPP) for killing the spores. I have not seen any reference in the
literature or in the distlist or other conservation resources online
that makes mention of using eugenol for this purpose. I have found
some references to it's use as an antiseptic in dental compounds,
and indications that it has toxic properties if ingested.

Does anyone have experience in using eugenol for treating mold? And,
if so, for what time period would a page need to be fumigated?

I've followed the recent postings on the DistList about mold
treatment methods such as narrow spectrum uv lamps, and ethanol (I'm
not clear how ethanol is to be used). My main concerns are: toxicity
danger, length of time required to treat all pages, the short- and
long-term effects on the manuscript pages themselves. Any help with
this is greatly appreciated,

Scott Campbell
Director, Adidam Sacred Archives

                  Distributed: Tuesday, April 8, 1997