Subject: Conservation of bamboo

Conservation of bamboo

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo<-a>
Date: Friday, April 4, 1997
Wendy Claire Jessup <prevcon<-a t->aol< . >com> forwards this:

>    From: Linda Nakamura <lnakamura<-a t->aao< . >org>
>
>    How does one conserve a cord of bamboo that functions as the
>    "string" used to propel an arrow?
>    It is getting dry and I was wondering how to deal with the
>    bamboo. How do I rehydrate it to increase its flexibility?

The most comprehensive work on bamboo that I have come across has
been done by Hu Jigao mainly with archaeological objects recovered
from excavations.  This work is concerned with dehydration,
consolidation and repair and includes experimental work.  I would
advise you look at the Chinese publication Kaogu (Archaeology) in
which Jigao's work has been published (in Chinese).  I have a
translation of a 1980 article of Jigao's which may be of use.  It
reports the use of beeswax, and mastic resin as a reagent for some
surface repairs which they found was stable in their storage and
exhibition conditions and did not change the appearance of the
surface at the time of treatment or after.  While I have a higher
regard for treatment methods that have reported durability, I am
hesitant to recommend treatment without seeing an object.   I have
seldom applied treatments to bamboo objects, generally I've opted
for "no treatment", in some cases B-72 in a slow evaporating solvent
provides a flexible repair that lasts and results in little surface
change.  Still, I would urge you consult Kaogu, there are recent
copies at the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco.

Niccolo Caldararo
Conservation Art Service

                  Distributed: Tuesday, April 8, 1997