Subject: BCIN

BCIN

From: Alicia Prata <alicia_prata<-a>
Date: Wednesday, April 2, 1997
Improvements to BCIN: Searching the Bibliographic Database on
conservation on the World Wide Web is more user-friendly than ever,
and is becoming more efficient as we continue our efforts to make
your searches increasingly effective and intuitive. You may already
have noted some of our most recent improvements.

We've redesigned the search screen: Clear labels, replacing the
former "light bulb" icons, now identify the Help files associated
with each field. A Search Now button, replacing the OK button, can
be accessed from three different places on the screen.

We've added more helpful documentation: A new "Searching Tips"
document, updated regularly to reflect new features and
improvements, should help you with some of the more complex and
unusual features of the software and database. You can download this
document to diskette or print it from your screen.

Another new feature, "Document Delivery", assists you and your
librarian in locating and requesting documents cited in the
bibliography, and provides information about loan and photocopying
policies of the BCIN contributors. This can also be downloaded to
diskette or printed from your screen.

We've improved searching and sorting capabilities: Your searches can
now be narrowed in the Title and Subject fields by choosing whether
you want to search words in random order, or exactly as you enter
them. Searching for dates is easier with a new option allowing you
to specify a date that is either Less Than or Greater Than a
particular date you indicate.

"Additional Search Fields" has been reorganized making it possible
to search for specific information, such as the BCIN number. BCIN
will now sort your documents by author, title, date of publication,
volume and issue. You can further narrow the number of records you
retrieve by excluding certain terms from your search with the
addition of "And Not" as a new field connector.

                  Distributed: Thursday, April 3, 1997