Subject: Storage of large archaeological textiles

Storage of large archaeological textiles

From: Joy Mastrogiuseppe <joydm<-a>
Date: Tuesday, April 1, 1997
We are searching for an appropriate way to store two large tule
mats.   One is ca. 10' X 5', the other ca. 7' X 4'.  They had been
rolled in cotton batting and stored under varying conditions for at
least 30 years.  We have unrolled them and relaxed the sharp creases
and folds.  The mats both have large holes and other use wear.  They
are well-provenienced are the most intact mats known from their
area, and have very interesting decorative elements.

Our environmentally-controlled storage room does not have space for
these mats to be stored flat.  At the moment we're considering two
options, neither very satisfactory.  One is to store them rolled
with marvelseal/ethafoam, the other is to "sandwich" them between
two layers of plexiglass, firmly enough to support them but not
tightly.  The plexiglass would then be stored vertically.

Are there detrimental effects from long-term intimate contact with
plexiglass?  (We are of course aware of the electrostatic
properties.)  Or is there a better solution? Thank you,

Joy Mastrogiuseppe

                  Distributed: Thursday, April 3, 1997