Subject: Miniature books

Miniature books

From: Artemis BonaDea <paradux<-a>
Date: Tuesday, April 1, 1997
I have recently been asked to bind a miniature, limited edition
book. I have received some information from binders with miniature
book experience and I would like to talk with conservators who have
experience treating/caring for miniature book in collections.

I am most interested in any information concerning the long-term
stability of materials used, particularly the attachment between
textblock and cover.  I have not been able to find written standards
but the binders I have talked with have recommended Tyvek, airplane
linen or japanese tissue for the attachment.  I know these types of
books will not receive the same use/handling as full size books but
I would like to hear how miniature book materials hold up over time.
My thanks,

Artemis BonaDea
North Bound Books
Box 240768