Subject: Photocopiers Digital cameras

Photocopiers Digital cameras

From: Henry Grunder <hgrunder<-a>
Date: Tuesday, April 1, 1997
Hilary Kaplan asks about "the state of the art in photocopying
machines." I'm not sure I know about that, but I do know that
the Special Collections Department of the Library of Virginia
expects, imminently, to take delivery of a Zeutschel "Omniscan 3000"
in its new building.

This German machine calls itself "The Scanner for Large Documents."
We have had many long, boring, nerdy arguments about whether it is,
technically, a "scanner" (it is actually a camera). One of its
features is interchangeable book cradles, one "for old, fragile
books." It also is said to handle documents up to C size, building a
TIFF G 3/4 image file in that size at 400 dpi in less than 10
seconds. It interfaces by SCSI-2 with the dedicated server, and from
there to what have you.

We are looking forward to using it (and incidentally would like to
hear from anyone who already has experience with one). Anyone
wishing further information may contact me at
<hgrunder<-a t->leo< . >vsla< . >edu>. While on the topic, under the heading of
true scanner (but not for bound volumes), our Photographic Services
unit is learning all about the new Tangent CCS 600-34 FB Flatbed
recently arrived, linked to an E size inkjet color printer. Same
request, same offer.

Henry Grunder
Conservation/Preservation Coordinator
The Library of Virginia