Subject: Photocopiers

Photocopiers

From: Mark Clarke <markey<-a>
Date: Tuesday, April 1, 1997
Hilary A. Kaplan <bm.gsk<-a t->rlg< . >org> writes

>What is the state of the art in photocopying machines for bound
>volumes?  I know that this question has been asked dozens of times
>(literally), but the COOL Archives shows the most recent query was
>February 1996 from Patrick Ravines, and I'm not sure anyone
>responded to his call for information. We are interested in a
>machine that will accommodate large volumes and high use.

I replied directly to Patrick Ravines, suggesting the Minolta PS3000
Book Scanner

Following an email report from Lorraine Olley on the Minolta range
of face-up digital photocopiers for bound volumes (reproduced
below), I visited Minolta's showrooms in Regent Street, London, to
see the Minolta Ps3000 Book Scanner.

    Clive Huntingford
    Sales manager
    Minolta (UK) Ltd
    +44 1908 200400
    Fax: +44 1908 200378

The machine consists of a scanning head, linked to a conventional
digital photocopier. (or to a PC for use as a scanner)

Price for scanner only (includes PC card, but not photocopier
attachment) was 10 000 UK Pounds or very close

The Ps3000 scanner is 256 greyscale, A3 maximum. Max resolution is
600 x 600 dpi

Used as a scanner, the scanner plugs in to a special PC card. The
scanner corrects for curvature of the page very well indeed, and can
automatically white-out black copying margins, operator's fingers
etc. The image correction and file compression are carried out by
the hardware as supplied. One scan, including time for all image and
file processing, takes 2 seconds. A foot pedal allows the operator
to copy left, or right' or both pages, while leaving hands free to
hold book. The book is scanned face up.

Files are exported TIFF format, with various compression options.
The PC card will carry out Group IV Fax compression for greyscale or
black and white images.

File Size: A4 200 dpi 256 greys compressed, approximately 15K A4 600
dpi 256 greys compressed, approximately 100K

The scanner is excellent from a conservation perspective, as the
books receive minimal handling since they are face up and cradled.
Very low light exposures are used, with no warming effect.

Richard Gartner at the Bodleian (+44 1865 277060) has been lent a
machine for evaluation. The same machine has also been evaluated at
Manchester University Library (presumably the John Rylands Library)
and "Somewhere in Birmingham"

I have also seen the machine in use at the Scottish National Library
in Edinburgh, where they seem very happy indeed.

I think the British Library have one too.

There exist in the US, prototype colour versions, expected to be on
the market at the end of March-April. It is currently undergoing EC
approval. There will also be a larger version eventually, probably
later this year. If the current version was purchased, a favourable
upgrading deal would be allowed.

In addition to the scanner, some driver and clean-up software is
required for the PC. There are various from Minolta, mainly designed
to feed into their proprietary filing system. we would require the
basic software, in the US named "Epic", which will cost 500 Pounds.
It runs under Windows 3.11 or 95 and on NT server.

See Original Report in CoOL, 16 Jan 96 From Lorraine Olley, Subject:
Minolta scanner

    **** Moderator's comments:   You can find this easily by using
    the new Author Index in the DistList archives
    <URL:http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byform/mailing-lists/cdl/>

Mark Clarke
London
+44 941 101 251